Quarantine was first introduced in 1377 in Dubrovnik on Croatia’s Dalmatian Coast. Dubrovnik was the first port on the east coast of the Adriatic to build a quarantine hospital – lazaretto and to introduce quarantine for ships and passengers. The first lazarettos were on the islands of Mrkan, Bobara and Supetar near Cavtat. Later the lazarettos were moved to St. Andrija and Mljet. In the year 1466 a lazaretto was built on Dance, near the town.