In 1906, the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) of the USDA, along with state and county authorities in quarantined areas, began a cooperative campaign to eradicate the cattle tick. Experimentation in various forms of tick eradication was commenced with a federal appropriation. The method found to be most efficient was dipping the cattle in a solution poisonous to the tick.
Since 1906, federal regulations have authorized both permanent and temporary quarantine areas to control cattle fever tick disease. In contemporary times, permanent quarantines for a thin stretch of property located along the U.S.-Mexico border in eight South Texas counties have been under quarantine. This quarantine area includes a thin strip of property ranging between a few hundred yards up to five miles wide.